Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Good Works Space welcomes Philanthropy!


New this month to Good Works Space is Alan Sutcliffe's organization 'Philanthropy', which is centered around the concept of "the choice for change through conscious consumerism."

Philanthropy has designed apparel to sell in Good Works Space. All proceeds go to benefit the UNHCR, UN Refugee Agency and WFP, The World Food Program.

Philanthropy's installation will be here May 10 to June 2010.


A message from Alan:
"My name is Alan Sutcliffe. After my experiences working along side the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) and the World food program (WFP) clearing landmines and unexploded munitions in Bosnia and in Kosovo in the late 90's, I was moved to try to create positive change in the world. This experience coupled with my studies of international relations along with my love of the arts and of fashion led me to the idea of Philanthropy. I wanted a way to combine the power of consumerism with the need for generosity. Social change, media impact, political unrest and climate instability are all moving about in a tornado coming straight at us. Layers of information both vital and insipid are bombarding us at all times. These events, the world we live in and the problems created will determine our youths' future. We need to incorporate our strengths, our visions and each of our unique talents and abilities and face these disasters head on. In Good Work Space we have created an interactive installation we feel embodies what we believe our world is trying to say. Art, music, fashion, self expression are sometimes the individual’s only message of hope of being a part of the answer. I have included the film the "Trap" in the Space by my favorite documentarist and fellow Englishman Adam Curtis. I feel this film unravels the modern concept of freedom and the juxtaposition of lifestyles, cultures and fashion during social change. I see Philanthropy as the “lifestyle” brand for the socially conscious consumer: one who acknowledges their greater role and affects that change.

Our history and experience are what have shaped us and the future is ours to define. Our purchase has power. Our choice makes change."

1 comment:

Rock N Revolution said...

This display is amazing!!! I am meeting with Molly tomorrow re: Kind Campaign! So Happy to follow in your footsteps!